As Christians all over the word celebrate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ today, we take a look at the goodness that came out of the tragedy.
1. A destiny fulfilled: The death on the cross was the destiny of Jesus. The death was the essential part of God’s plan for man’s salvation. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice to atone for the sins of men.
2. INRI: Latin phrase Jesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum stands for “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews.” This was the inscription put on the cross by Pilate to mock Jesus. Here was the supposed “king” hanging on the cross like a common criminal. Little did His executioners realize Jesus was really the greatest king of all time!
3. The curtain of the temple was torn: The curtain of the temple closed off the most holy room of the temple. Only the high priest could enter, once a year, and stand in the presence of God. The tearing of the curtain was a symbol that the death of Jesus had opened the way for all of mankind to approach God.
4. The mocking spirit was disgraced: The soldiers cruelly laughed at Jesus on the cross. The onlookers and the robber beside him also laughed. Little did they know that the glory which would be revealed in Jesus was not worthy to be compared to his present suffering
5. The hour of darkness: Jesus cried out “My God My God why have you forsaken me? this was the darkest hour for Jesus. The lamb of God was taking away the sins of the world at this time.
6. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit: After Jesus said this, he yielded his spirit and ascended on high. His ascent translated him to the right hand side of the Father.
7. The word of confirmation: When the those guarding Jesus saw the earthquake following the tearing of the veil of the temple, they declared “truly this was the son of God”.
8. Jesus was put in a tomb: This is in line with the prophecy that he would rise again after three days. Jesus rose from the tomb where he had been buried. This is to signify complete victory over death.
9. Freedom and Liberty: Through the death of Jesus we are free from the grip of death, sickness, and sin.
10. A new life: With the shedding of his blood, we can now claim a new life in Christ Jesus. A new life in Christ means the old life has passed away and everything has become new. A new life is hid in Christ and lived to his glory and approval.