A careful look at the scripture in the foregoing gives us certain information:
1. Someone was wounded.
2. This person knew the origin of the wound.
3. The wound came from an unexpected quarter.
4. He knew that his wounds came from his friends.
Daniel 2:22 says, “He revealeth the deep and secret things; he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.” There are certain things that are deep and secret, which can only be revealed by God. I Kings 14:1-3 says, “At that time Abijah the son of Jeroboam fell sick. And Jeroboam said to his wife, Arise, I pray thee, and disguise thyself, that thou be not known to be the wife of Jeroboam; and get thee to Shiloh: behold, there is Abijah the prophet, which told me that I should be king over this people. And take with thee ten loaves, and cracknels, and a cruse of honey, and go to him; he shall tell thee what shall become of the child.” The child of Jeroboam was sick and was not responding to treatment.
Jeroboam did not know what to do. So, he decided to go and find out from the prophet what was wrong. He wanted to know the source of the sickness. But because he had offended the God of Israel and could not face the prophet, he asked his wife to go there in disguise. I Kings 14:4 says, “And Jeroboam’s wife did so, and arose, and went to Shiloh, and came to the house of Ahijah. But Ahijah could not see; for his eyes were set by reason of his age.” They were so far from the God of Israel they did not even know that it was not necessary to disguise because the prophet was already blind.
I Kings 14:5 says, “And the Lord said unto Ahijah, Behold, the wife of Jeroboam cometh to ask a thing of thee for her son; for he is sick; thus and thus shall thou say unto her; for it shall be, when she cometh in, that she shall feign herself to be another woman.” “Before the wife of Jeroboam could call, the Holy Spirit had revealed to the prophet that somebody was coming there in disguise. 1 Kings 14:6-13 records the meeting between the prophet and Jeroboam’s wife. From the text we discover that the origin of the sickness was the punishment which God had planned for the whole house of Jeroboam. And the punishment was that none of them would be buried properly except this particular little child who had some good things in him. So, God wanted to remove him out of the way before He dealt with the rest of them.
Some statements of fact
1. There are some things known as problems. Problems are universal entities. They do not recognize racial or tribal influence. They differ as you go from one part of the world to another. It could be suicide, expression, alcoholism, etc. And there are particular sets of spirits responsible for these problems. In Africa, you find a lot of poverty, witchcraft attacks, backwardness, sicknesses, etc. So, problems are universal.
2. Problems are no respecters of person. They come without anyone’s invitation. Therefore, the whole world is filled with men and women struggling to solve one problem or another.
3. Behind every problem, there is a spiritual force. Sometimes, we waste our time fighting human beings when we should be fighting the spirits behind our problems. When Jesus told His disciples that the Son of man would go to Jerusalem and die and would be buried and would rise on the third day, Peter said, “Far be it from you Lord. You are not going to die like that.” It was Peter speaking but there was a force behind what he was saying. That force was not of God. So, Jesus had to turn back and rebuke satan. He said, “I rebuke you satan.” There are voices that can speak to us, which are not backed by the power of God. Behind every problem, there is a spiritual force. The truth is that the enemy has moved, tied down, loosened and has gone from street to street, family to family, community to community, race to race and tribe to tribe in order to harass and intimidate people. He has moved to shatter, detain, afflict, and wound people.
There are people who hear strange commands and begin to obey them. Many years ago, a certain fine-looking man was brought to our meeting. He qualified as a medical doctor but some hefty men had to be beside him always because he used to run all of a sudden without anybody pursuing him. He would run until he got tired and fall down. He would rest for some time, stand up and start running again. I asked the people who brought him if he was like that before he went to the university and they said no. They told me the problem started when he got his first job. After some prayers, he regained consciousness a little bit and I asked why he was running. He told me he used to hear one voice, which would say to him, “Run!” And he would begin to run. A power was issuing an evil command to him and he could not resist it.
4. Every righteous man or woman will at one time or another in life, face the plot of the wicked. It happened to Joseph and Joseph triumphed. It happened to Daniel. Some people conspired against him and he was thrown into the lions’ den but he triumphed. It happened to Shadrack Meshack and Abednego but they triumphed too. So, the enemies of Joseph and Daniel only rejoiced for a while. Their joy was cut off. The lions’ den and furnace of fire were God’s instruments to bury their enemies.
So, what the enemy put forward as an instrument of warfare against the righteous was used to destroy the enemy. You must understand that once you remain righteous the way God wants you to remain; you will never be defeated by the enemy. The Bible says, “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him from them all.” The righteous would one time or another face the plot of the wicked but the wicked will not succeed. Their instruments of wickedness will be to their own destruction. This is the stand of the scriptures.
5. The attack of the enemy can take three forms:
i. There is something the Bible calls the fiery darts of the enemy. The enemy fires this kind of evil arrows into the life of a person to last for a while. He just punishes the person for a while, releases the person and returns again. Many people are facing these fiery darts now.
ii. The enemy can have a foothold in a person’s life. That is why the Bible says, “Give no place for the enemy.” It means you must never allow the enemy to move freely in your life. The foothold of the enemy can keep a person from moving forward.
iii. The enemy can have a stronghold in a person’s life. A stronghold can run from generation to generation. It can affect so many things. Abraham at one time in his life told Abimelech a lie. He said that his wife was his sister. Forty years later, Isaac the son of Abraham told the same lie to Pharaoh. He said that his wife was his sister. Sixty years later, Jacob the son of Isaac and his mother deceived Isaac. Eighty years later, Laban deceived Jacob. Hundred years later, Jacob himself was deceived. One hundred and twenty years later, Reuben slept with his father’s wife. One hundred and forty years later, Judah slept with his daughter in law. It went on like that.
That is what is called a stronghold. This stronghold of deception, lying and iniquity was going across generations of a particular lineage. So, a stronghold is a very terrible thing. That is why the Bible says, “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;) casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).
In military terms, a stronghold refers to a place that is fortified. It refers to a kind of area that cannot be easily penetrated. It is a place that provides sure safety for the enemy. When the enemy of a person is hiding inside a stronghold, there is a serious problem. The enemy uses strongholds to keep people from enjoying abundant life. He uses it to hinder prayers, and maturity, and to keep people from being effective for the Lord. He also uses it to downgrade or demote destinies. The stronghold of the enemy is the reason many Christians suffer from defeat over and over again even when to the best of their knowledge they are doing everything right.
6. Your parentage will determine the battle you fight. It would be foolish for anyone to think that the battles from his home will not affect him. It would be foolish to think that the enemy of your parents will leave you alone. If the Israelites did not go to Egypt, they would not have had any cause to pass through the Red sea. It was their parents that went to Egypt and that action of their parents subjected them to some hardship.
7. If there is any problem in your life, it shows that you have something worth contesting for. So, you need to fight to free yourself.
8. The solution to any crisis you are going through is embedded in the crisis itself. This is why you must pray and roar in desperate prayer like a wounded lion or a mad prophet and tell your problems to reveal their origin or source and the solution. Those are the two commands to give to them. Many people run away from crisis point because they do not know that the place of rest is the point of victory. Until victory is complete, there would be warfare. Some also do not know that there is a treasure even in the trouble they are going through.
There is a miracle in the garden of your misery. There is a treasure in the garden of your trouble. There is a possibility in the garden of your problem. There is triumph in the garden of travail. And there is prosperity in the garden of poverty. There is honour in the garden of humiliation. So, the answer to every trouble is in the trouble itself, meaning that every problem comes with its seed of solution inside it. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” It means that as a child of God, opposition will work for your good. That is why you need to cry out to God to show you the answer. Running away from your trouble may be running away from your breakthrough. You can turn every pressure the enemy places upon you to power. God is able to pinpoint for you the origin of your problems and the solution if you will go to Him in desperate prayers.
9. The worst thing anyone can do to himself is to wage war against himself. Unfortunately, many people an unconsciously doing that; they are assisting the enemy to fight them harder. Sisters, who dress indecently in the name of fashion, need to wake up so that they will not wage war against themselves. The Bible says, “You shall not make to thyself any graven image” (Exodus 20:4). So, do not be the one waging war against yourself. If you are stylishly worshipping idols, you will be blocking your own breakthrough. Idol worship is not only when you physically carry idols or bow down to a particular thing. But when you design something in the shape of an idol, it is idol worship.
10. We do not choose our enemies, battles or struggles. But we can choose our weapons of retaliation. The Lord is able to reveal deep and secret things. He knows what is in the darkness and the light dwells with Him. Beloved, please pray the following prayers from the bottom of your heart. Perhaps, you have been wounded in the house of your friend, who you did not know was your terrible enemy. Perhaps too, you do not even know the root of what you are going through. You have to pray aggressively.
1. Every power that must die for my breakthrough to manifest, die, in the name of Jesus.
2. Every enemy of my appointed time, die, in the name of Jesus.
3. O mountain that boasted against me, your time is up, scatter, in the name of Jesus.
4. My problems, face the anger of the finger of God, in the name of Jesus.
5. Every arrow of unfriendly friends, backfire, in the name of Jesus.
6. Every magnet of darkness in my life, die, in the name of Jesus.
7. Jesus Christ my deliverer, knock out every darkness in my life, in the name of Jesus.
8. Every power assigned to kill my joy, what are you waiting for? Die, in the name of Jesus.
9. Let the enemy enter into the grave he has dug for me, in the name of Jesus.
10. Every power assigned to kill my joy, what are you waiting for? Die, in the name of Jesus.